Linux Tablet Getting Started Guide

Anything pertaining to the tablets used by TICC.

Linux Tablet Getting Started Guide

Postby jkbuster » September 9th, 2011, 5:45 pm

Linux Tablets Getting Started Guide

Setting up Mathematica
  1. Go to http://bit.ly/p83Bvg
  2. Enter your Wolfram ID to sign in. or if you do not have an ID click
    "Create Account'' and follow the instructions. Your account username will be your Mines email address.
  3. nce you are signed in, you will reach a page asking for your name, email address, configuration, and platform. Your name, email address and configuration will already be filled in. Select the correct platform. If you are activating mathematica on the tablets provided by the physics department select Linux for the platform.
  4. Hit Submit
  5. An email will be sent to you with your activation key, and you will be forwarded to a page summerizing the activation code details. Copy the activation code either from this page or the email.
  6. Open mathematica
  7. You will be prompted to insert an activation code. Paste the activation code from step 5.
  8. Hit activate
  9. Congragulations you can now use mathematica on your machine. You can repeat this process for multiple computers.

Adding a Printer to Your Tablet
I'll use the MH247 printer as an example

1. Open System -> Administration -> Printing
  2. Click on Add
  3. Select "Windows Printer via SAMBA" under Network Printer
  4. Fill in smb:// "lightning.mines.edu/mh247mdhplj"
  5. Set authentication details to "ADIT\<your username>" with your ADIT password
  6. Click Forward
  7. Select the HP LaserJet P3005 from the list, using the recommended driver
  8. Click Forward
  9. Check the "Duplex Unit" box
  10. Name the printer to your heart's desire
  11. Click Apply

Frequently Asked Questions
  • My tablet would like me to upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04, should I?
    No. Upgrading to 11.04 will break a fair amount of software that allows your tablet to operate properly. We are working on upgrading the software, but please wait for our go ahead to upgrade.

• There's something wrong with my tablet, and I don't see a solution here. What should I do?
    Please post the issue here on the forums. If you do not receive and answer in a day or so, or you need it fixed asap, please submit a bug here: http://ticc.mines.edu/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Physics%20Tablets
--
Thanks,
Jason K. Buster
jbuster@mines.edu
jkbuster

Return to Tablets