Rotating Your Screen

Anything pertaining to the tablets used by TICC.

Rotating Your Screen

Postby jkbuster » February 3rd, 2011, 12:02 am

I have written a script that will allow you to rotate your screen. This is very useful, especially for those of you using tc4200. This has only been tested on the 2740p and the tc4200, but can be adapted to work on any of the tablets.

To Install the Script:
Note: Everything in the code boxes should be run in your Terminal.

Download the file below. It will download to your Downloads folder.
invert.zip
The script. It is not actually a .zip. However, this gets rectified when you move it to the proper folder.
(901 Bytes) Downloaded 1190 times

Code: Select all
sudo mv Downloads/invert.zip /bin/invert

You can now invert your screen by running the following in the Terminal:
invert

To Add a Button to Your Panel
Right click on the Panel where you would like to add the button.
Click on "Add to Panel..."
Double click on "Custom Application Launcher"
See the picture below for how I filled mine out. The important things are the "Type" and "Command." The other settings can be whatever you want. By clicking on the icon in the panel, you can change the icon.
InvertSetup.png
My configuration for the launcher button on my panel
InvertSetup.png (24.85 KiB) Viewed 9950 times

Modifying the Script
This is not for beginners! Please read this entire section before beginning.
I have not used any tablet other than the 2740p, but I believe this should work. Please respond with successes/failures and your modifications.

Assuming you have installed the script as I recommended, you can begin editing the script by running this command:
sudo gedit /bin/invert

There are two key components of the rotation. The display and the stylus.
The display is rotated using the xrandr command. If you type "xrandr -o inverted" into the terminal, it should rotate the screen, but not the stylus, on any of the tablets.
Unfortunately, the stylus is more difficult because it has a different name on each model tablet. To figure out what the stylus name is run the following:
xsetwacom --list | grep STYLUS

On the 2740p, the name of the stylus is "Serial Wacom Tablet stylus" based on the output of "Serial Wacom Tablet stylus STYLUS."
So, take the stylus name for your computer and put it in the quotations for the stylus_name variable.
Save the file and try it out. Any changes you make will be applied to the button you created.

Good luck! Please post successful modifications and problems here, I'll help you out as much as I can.

--
Buster
jkbuster

Re: Rotating Your Screen

Postby tangle » February 8th, 2011, 1:41 am

Everyone,

I have modified Buster's original script to deal with 90 degree clockwise and counterclockwise rotations. Download and install as described in Buster's post.

rotate.zip
(438 Bytes) Downloaded 1528 times

Taylor
tangle

Postby jkbuster » February 8th, 2011, 1:48 am

Thanks Taylor. I actually have both an invert and a rotate on my tablet, but I hardly ever use the rotate so I didn't post it. Looks like yours is designed for the 2710, right?

--
Buster
--
Thanks,
Jason K. Buster
jbuster@mines.edu
jkbuster

Postby tangle » February 8th, 2011, 1:54 am

Yes, mine was made for the 2710 but the stylus modification for your script should alter it to work for every model.

Taylor
tangle

Postby nsapun » February 8th, 2011, 3:58 pm

I'm not sure if I didn't follow the instructions correctly, but when I move the file it isn't treated as an executable. If anyone is having the same problem (command not found when you type invert), do the following:
chmod u+x /bin/invert

Or:
chmod u+x /bin/rotate

if you're using the rotate script.
nsapun

Postby jkbuster » February 25th, 2011, 2:08 pm

Please run the Update Manager on your computer and install all updates (System -> Administration-> Update Manager). There is a new version of the gutb that should fix all of your screen rotation issues and enable both the built-in buttons and the auto-rotation when you lock your screen down.
--
Thanks,
Jason K. Buster
jbuster@mines.edu
jkbuster

Return to Tablets