2740p Black screen on boot

Anything pertaining to the tablets used by TICC.

2740p Black screen on boot

Postby zboerner » March 14th, 2011, 4:03 pm

So I found this problem after locking my screen. I cannot think of any configuration file that I changed, but nonetheless, the error is here.

Problem:
After the Grub menu (or if it's bypassed), the laptop goes to a black screen. No sound, no visuals. On one occasion, I had a prompt that would let me type, but did not appear to accept commands.

Solution (for now):
The long-term solution is supposedly a driver fix, but for now, here's what you can do:

1. On the Grub Bootloader, type "e" while the first boot is highlighted.
    2. Remove the words "quiet splash" from the boot options, and, if you're using a 2740p, replace it with "i915.modeset=0" (without the quotes).
    3. Boot by pressing whatever it tells you to boot (A key combo, I do not recall it).
    4. Your system should now boot to a point that gives you a prompt. It will ask for you username and then your password. My username happens to be Zachary_Boerner, which I changed awhile back. If you cannot remember your login name, you may even try using "root" (without quotes), but I'm not sure if that will work.
    5. You should now be in what's essentially a terminal. Type "cd /etc/" (once again, without quotes). You are now in the etc folder.
    6. Type "sudo nano modprobe.d/blacklist.conf" (without quotes). It may gripe at you about it not existing or being unable to find it. You may have to try a couple of things to get to the file, but I assure you, it exists.
    7. Add to the very bottom of the file the line "blacklist intel_ips".
    8. Save the file and exit (Ctrl-O followed by Ctrl-X).
    9. Now type "sudo nano modules".
    10. Add "i915/nintel_ips" to the bottom of that file, save, and exit.

Bit of an explanation:
The Intel drivers are not playing nicely right now, so this, if I am correct, tells Ubuntu not to load one version and forces the loading of another. I do not know how many machines this affects or how many it will fix, but this worked for me.

-ZTB
zboerner

Re: 2740p Black screen on boot

Postby zboerner » March 14th, 2011, 5:29 pm

Another problem!

Problem:
Upon using Ctrl-Alt-L to lock the screen, and then closing the lid (with the lid closing only doing "Blank Screen"), then when I bring it back up, there is no login screen and only the mouse cursor. Note that this only appears to happen after the lid has been closed for a period of time greater than a few seconds.

Temporary Solution:
Restart X (The graphical interface). This can be done by doing the following:

1. Get to a tty prompt by hitting Ctrl-Alt-F1 (holding all three down). This should shift you to a screen on which you can log in as yourself.
    2. Type "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop" (without quotes). You'll get some message about how you should use the service to stop it. Ignore it.
    3. Type "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start" (without quotes). This should bring you back to your GUI. It might be worth your time to log out of tty1 by going back to it (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and typing "exit."

Explanation:
No idea why X is messing up, but this basically restarts it by restarting the Gnome Display Manager.

Note that you may have to do this in addition to the previous post. That's why I replied.

-ZTB
zboerner

Return to Tablets